I am delighted to review a literature-based science curriculum that introduces elementary school students to life on the planet starting with single-celled organisms and expanding through the animal kingdom.
Earth Party! An Early Introduction to the Linnaean System of Classification of Living Things Unit Study from Carrier Shell Curriculum uses story and visual references to enhance your child’s understanding.
Here is an overview:
- 12-week unit study
- Grades 1-6
- Written with homeschool families in mind but can be adapted for co-ops and school settings
- Teacher’s book and student book
- 3 literature and resource books are utilized
- Tree of Life by Rochelle Strauss
- Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia
- Karl, Get Out of the Garden by Anita Sanchez
- Focuses on the “what” and not the “how” things came to be
- Alignment to Common Core standards available on Carrier Shell website
It is multi-sensory:
- Students are invited to observe first-hand life forms obtained from materials around the house
- Video resources are listed for students to better see life move
- Fun, whole-body lab activities are geared for kinesthetic and olfactory learners
- Students that like to write will enjoy the Student Book
It is easy to use:
- Answer keys make grading and discussions easy
- Activities are geared for different learning styles and noted
- Suggestions are made for further study including websites, movies, articles and additional books
I love how this approach teaches advanced content in an age-appropriate way.
If you enjoy literature-based learning, check out Communism Study through Literature and my review of California Out of the Box.
You may also like:
How to Jumpstart Homeschooling Your Child: Curriculum Ideas and Outlines for Each K-8 Grade Level
Top Read-Aloud Picks for Your Family
Communism Study through Literature
Fun Ways to Teach Writing Without Buying a Curriculum
You can sign up to follow The Contemporary Homeschooler via email by clicking on the Follow button. Also, join our community on Facebook.
Note: If you decide to make a purchase through my blog link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free. So, thank you!